Saturday, January 2, 2010

I love mail!

There is nothing quite like opening the mailbox and finding, amidst the flyers and bills, an envelope that stands apart from everything else - a handwritten address, a lopsided stamp, and the sense that this is something personal, something special, and something that will make my day.

Do you know this feeling?

I love this feeling and I want to spread this feeling...My husband told me that 80% of post office mail is business-related and that made me a little sad. Email has definitely become a powerful force in the correspondence world. Don't get me wrong - email is awesome and I use it all the time but there is something quite lovely about sitting down, taking some time and writing a letter/a note/an invitation/a thank you/a compliment. (I'm quite happy if this involves tea drinking as well.)

So I've decided that I'm going to send out one thousand paper letters. The kind of mail that makes you do a double-take at the mailbox as you sort through the flyers and bills. The kind of mail that makes you realize that email is great but letters are amazing. The kind of mail that makes you smile. Heartfelt, thoughtful, day brightening mail to mailboxes near and far. I'm not sure how long it will take but I'm excited to see where this journey will take me and maybe where it will take you, as you follow along for the ride.



Let the journey begin...

5 comments:

Harmony said...

It's funny...I had that same "feeling" during the Christmas holidays knowing that I would be getting cards in the mail. I would turn the little key to my mailbox, pull out the pile and search for a corner of an envelope (of course SO different than a bill envelope!)or I would feel for the thickness of a card (perhaps with photos in it). And now that I think about it...I love getting this kind of mail anytime of the year too.

ClayItAgain / 12MidnightOils said...

Wow that's some journey you've set your sights on! Depending on how many you write a day, it could take years. Please keep us up to date on how many you've done and what kinds of reactions you get.

Colleen said...

I'm a mailman's daughter and the brightest part of my day is often getting the mail. You're right! That pop of a friend's handwriting under an honest to goodness stamp is the BEST. I think this is a GREAT idea!

angelayen said...

I totally agree. I love that feeling of opening a letter and getting mail! It's the sheer thought of where and how this object traveled to an array of places in order to arrive at your doorstep, that makes mail so damn cool. I've actually always wanted to work in a post office and be like the mediator between two worlds...okay perhaps I am over thinking it.

The love for mail is also kind of how I feel about purchasing CDs or records versus downloading mp3s. Though it is convenient (downloading and emails), it just isn't the same as having that actual album/envelope in your hands.

Marilyn said...

Love the picture!